Carrigtwohill United F.C Updates

Share With Your Friends

Pearse Celtic U11 Vs Carrigatwohill United U11

In the latest round of u11 league games we travelled to Pearse Celtic on a beautiful Sunday morning for what would turn out to be a good test for the lads.

Both teams were fully committed today, giving their all and putting in good performances. It took our lads a few minutes to settle into the games but when we did it was great to see some lovely passing combinations to create plenty of chances and some cracking goals.

The defence is really looking solid and it’s nice to see the lads trying to play out from the back. The way the lads work together as a team to defend is a credit to all the hard work they have done in training.

It’s fantastic to see every player in the squad improving and working really hard. All the lads really dug deep today to put in a great performance but a special mention must go to Peter Warren Perry and Martin Lehane on one team and Ben Holland O Mahony and Adam McCarty on the other. Well done lads, Carrig Abu!!

Carrigaline Hibernians U12 Vs Carrigtwohill United U12

Carrigtwohill United picked up from where they left off, after picking an emphatic win against Tramore Athletic in the cup, we knew very well that the biggest test was yet to come against a Carrigaline side that was still basking from an opening good win against Middleton. For most of the opening minutes the game looked very even. But as we approached midway through first half, the tide shifted heavily in favor of us. Rolie made few telling runs that put their defense on back foot and forced few saves. Our intentions were very clear as Leroy partnering Rolie upfront was ever threatening with his galloping strides into the 18-yard box.

The first realistic breakthrough came when somehow Leroy navigated his way past the defenders and appeared to have been hacked down before shooting tamely at a very impressive Carrigaline keeper. It was not long before Rolie notched the ball into Leroy’s path who took a blistering strike that was saved but somehow forced its way through the keeper’s hands before he followed up to poke it in for the first goal. We went for half-time 1-0 up. Sensing a quick come back from Carrigaline, we regrouped quickly and our strikers took turns to shoot wide off the goal with few shots on target that pulled the best out of Carrigaline keeper. Moments later Leroy hit the upright at a time it looked easier to score than miss. As pressure mounted he made amends when he hit the roof of the net from just outside the box from a rebound that Rolie had taken a hard shot on goal. Carrigaline came back into the game immediately before Dennis made a goal-line clearance in a training ground pivoting move from left-back role covering the center back, after Ethan got beat through his legs. The solid defending from Colm, Jayden and Dennis was probably the difference on the day as we kept our keeper well protected for most of the time. Moments later they scored straight from corner kick to leave our lads shacking with fear of throwing away a game that we looked very much in control.

A tactical switch saw Leslie operating straight through the middle and Leroy now playing on right wing again threatening them with pace. Midway through second half he drove the ball past the wing back and made a run down the flank to cross in for an oncoming Ende Cungulo who finished well with a first touch, in what looked like the best team goal of the day. To put the game to bed our lads didn’t stop but again somehow Leroy collected the ball outside the 18-yard box before rifling a powerful shot in the top right hand corner, to kill any hopes of Carrigaline comeback. Four changes were made at once but never posed any threat to the stability of the team on a day where our lads showed strength in depth and versatility to cover any position on the pitch for the remaining 10 minutes or so towards the end. Leroy collected the match-ball and Man of the match award for constant threat on their defenders, hattrick and an assist.

Well done to the whole team as midfield created many chances, defenders kept it solid and all the subs plaid more than 30 minutes each with team remaining as solid as ever.

Grenagh U13s Vs Carrigtwohill United U13s

We made the trip to Grenagh for an early kick off on Saturday morning for a first round of the Con Elliott Cup.We got caught cold in the first minute when some sloppy play in midfield led to a soft goal being conceded 1 nil down. In fairness to the lads they started to settle into the game and created a few good chances which weren’t taken until a great ball over the top from left back Ben Murphy was latched onto by Cillian McCarthy who forged forward before finishing we’ll to level the scores with 15 Mins on the clock.1all the half time score. The second half almost started the same as the first when Grenagh hit the crossbar from a long range shot.Luckily the ball fell to Cathal who played a great ball up the wing for Phillip who played into Ryan who played a great ball threw the Grenagh defence for fellow striker Evan o Keeffe to smash the ball to the net.Getting we’ll on top in midfield we really took the game to our opponents and deservedly got a third when Evan again with a great finish made it 3-1 with 10 mins gone in the 2nd half. There was no let up from the carrig lads now and a fourth goal arrived from the penalty spot after the referee gave a hand ball from a Mark McCarthy corner caused mayhem in the box. Up stepped Jack o Regan to send the goalie the wrong way .A fifth goal from Phillip Slewa(his first goal for the club) put the icing on the cake when he broke from midfield to leave 3 Grenagh players in his wake before unleashing a brilliant shot to the roof of the net. Today we saw all the hard put in at trainig coming together for what was a fantastic team performance.

Innishvilla U17 (0) Vs Carrigtwohill United U17 (3)

Carrigtwohill’s U17s travelled to Innishannon to play the next instalment of their league campaign. Innishvilla is an old rival – the two teams having played in the same division for the last 4 seasons with results having gone one way or the other.

On the day, the conditions were quite good except for a strong breeze which blew mostly down the pitch. The draw decided that Carrig would play into the breeze in the first half and this meant the visitors were under quite a bit of pressure initially. It took about 15 minutes to adjust and Darren Flynn in goals was beginning to find more length on this kick outs.

There were few chances in the first half, although Innishvilla’s forwards did have two half chances which were promptly closed down by Carrig’s centre backs Alex Canti and Ronan Ymedji.

The second half was different from the outset with Carrig finding more space on the ball, especially in midfield and beginning to play higher up the pitch. As the minutes past, the 1 4 3 3 turned more into a 1 4 4 2, with Rian Notley and Jason Daly playing close to each other upfront and creating mayhem in the Innishvilla defence. Still the game was levelled and both sides had similar chances with promising chips from distance which the strong wind deflected away from goals. Then with 25 minutes to go, Robert Adam received a ball out of defence on Carrig’s left wing and played a defence splitting pass up field. Rian Notley ran onto the ball and his shot deceived the Innishvilla keeper at his near post.

Only 3 minutes later and a similar through ball found its way to Jason Daly whose angled shot was only parried by the Innishvilla keeper only for Rian Notley to net his second of the afternoon.

Ten minutes later and more pressure from Carrig delivered a corner kick. Robert Adam played a hard ball in, which Ebe Imho, at the near post, rose to head into the far corner of the net: a quality delivery and a quality header for a quality goal – the third for Ebe this season.

A great afternoon of soccer and a great result for Carrig in a match that was much tighter than the scoreline suggests

Share With Your Friends